Why Scriptol was created
As it is summarized by the 7 rules, the language wants help translating more easily ideas in code.
Which improvements come with Scriptol?
in a single pass and thus permits to correct them quickly all together,
and the generated PHP code, as a bytecode, runs on any computer..
- Faster programming and protect your code: use the
interpreter to write and debug a program, then distribute a binary
executable for Windows or Unix (no need for the user to download an
- The Scriptol language will be ported to other plateforms, including
.Net and thus gives a long life to your programs.
- Scriptol has features available only in other modern programming
- the for .. in (foreach) construct,
- multiple assignments,
- associative lists,
- range subscripting.
It has also new control structures, new data structures, and a simple syntax that allows you to express naturally your thought.
- Scriptol is the first language to define XML document in source
and use them as data-structures.
- Scriptol use standard APIs, of C++, PHP, Java, not proper ones as any interpreted scripting language: the experience you have gained when using them may serve you in your professional life when you have to deal with commonly used programming languages, and conversely, your experience with these languages is of use with Scriptol..
Who needs for Scriptol?
- Any programmer who have to write scripts and applications, Scriptol helps to concentrate on the problem and program faster.
- ASP programmers who want to move under a Unix server, but are repelled by the PHP syntax.
- For prototyping: once your program is achieved, you can include the generated code into a larger project.
- For web services building.
What's unique in Scriptol?
- New powerful control stuctures:
- It has a simplified compound assignment: a + x rather than
a += x or a = a + x.
- Blocks of statements are xml-like.
- Semi-colons are optional as splitted lines are automatically recognized by the compiler.
- Conditionnal assignments to update properties.
- It is possible to insert XML code and process it like an associative array (it is converted to a tree in the target language).
- Classes and inheritance become simple.
- Most drawbacks of JS are removed through a library.
- Programming becomes easier and faster. The risk of bugs is reduced.
- An extended set of functions on associative arrays.
- To describe a complex object in XML is much more readable than in JSON and you can save it as a JSON file.
- The same code may run at command line or in a browser.
Why Scriptol as front-end to PHP?
- Scriptol has a simple and clear syntax. No risk to omit a dollar or semi-colon.
- Scriptol has typed variables, that allows for controls at compile time, rather than repetitive debugging at runtime.
- No need to declare "global".