Why Scriptol was created
As it is summarized by the 7 rules, the language wants help translating more easily ideas in code.
Which improvements come with Scriptol?
- Scriptol adds the advantages of a compiler to the portability of the PHP interpreter: a compiler performs all checks for errors
in a single pass and thus permits to correct them quickly all together,
and the generated PHP code, as a bytecode, runs on any computer..
- Faster programming and protect your code: use the
interpreter to write and debug a program, then distribute a binary
executable for Windows or Unix (no need for the user to download an
- The Scriptol language will be ported to other plateforms, including
.Net and thus gives a long life to your programs.
- Scriptol has features available only in other modern programming
- the for .. in (foreach) construct,
- multiple assignments,
- associative lists,
- range subscripting.
It has also new control structures, new data structures, and a simple syntax that allows you to express naturally your thought.
- Scriptol is the first language to define XML document in source
and use them as data-structures.
- Scriptol use standard APIs, of C++, PHP, Java, not proper ones as any interpreted scripting language: the experience you have gained when using them may serve you in your professional life when you have to deal with commonly used programming languages, and conversely, your experience with these languages is of use with Scriptol..
Who needs for Scriptol?
- Any programmer who have to write scripts and applications, Scriptol helps to concentrate on the problem and program faster.
- PHP programmers who must write big applications.
- Asp programmers who want to move under a Unix server, but need for a language as simple as Basic.
- For prototyping: once your program is achieved, you can include either the PHP or C++ code into a larger project.
- When XML seems too much complicate, Scriptol has the simpler approach.
- For web services building, you can program easily and safety in Scriptol and produce PHP 5 portable code.
What's unique in Scriptol?
- Scriptol code is compiled in PHP or C++ and thus is more
- New powerful control stuctures:
- It has a simplified compound assignment: a + x rather than
a += x or a = a + x.
- Blocks of statements are xml-like.
- Semi-colons are optional as splitted lines are automatically recognized by the compiler.
- Conditionnal assignments to update properties.
- A new data-structure is implemented: XML document in a more readable form.
Why to use Scriptol as front-end to C++?
- Scriptol doesn't need for makefile, just give the name of the main source file.
- No need to write header files (but for external libraries).
- No any memory management needed, a garbage collector is integrated.
- In C, statement are also expression and a line as: if(a = 10) means that 10 is assigned to a and the result compared to zero, a
bad design that leads to errors.
- A clear syntax, instead of that of C and Unix shell, that are 30
- Fully object-oriented, variables and literals have methods.
- Size of arrays can change during the process.
- No semi-colon, a line as while(i < 10); producing an infinite loop can't occurs to.
- New improved control structures over C.
Why to use Scriptol as front-end to PHP?
- Scriptol has a simple and clear syntax. No risk to omit a dollar or semi-colon.
- Scriptol has typed variables, that allows for controls at compile time, rather than repetitive debugging at runtime.
- A Scriptol program can also be compiled to PHP or to other platforms without change.