Description of the Scriptol programming language
Scriptol is a modern programming language, designed to be simple and
easy to learn, allowing new users ready to program in some hours. The
programming time is largely decreased.
Free scriptol interpreter and compilers are currently available for Windows and Unix.
Features of Scriptol
Scriptol is :
- Objectively modern: it has been designed according to seven rules for simplicity and, safety, and doesn't carry ancient obsolete syntax.
- Object-oriented, even simple scalar as "int", or literal as "123", are objects and have methods.
- Typed: the compiler can check for content and type of variables, that is not possible with usually untyped scripting languages.
- Natural: types are not based on computer's hardware but on human's
concepts or mathematical sets: these are text, number,
integer, real, etc...
- Powerful and safe: new control structures has been introduced with
- composite if, that is both an if statement and a switch case with any kind of values.
- while let, that protects from infinite loop.
- for .. in array, or for .. in a..b, the simplest way to express ranges.
- Simple: no symbols as -> or ::, just a dot in any case.
Adding 1 to x is just written: x + 1, and not x += 1.
No memory management required, executables have a garbage collector.
- C++ compatible: you have just to link C++ object files or
library files, and use the functions they hold, no any extension required
- PHP compatible: you can program web pages in Scriptol, your code is converted to PHP and all PHP functions may be used.
- XML oriented. Data may be loaded and saved in XML files.
Why use Scriptol?
- Embedding natural and safe code inside HTML pages. It will run on any server using Php version 4.
- Protecting your code by distributing a binary executable.
- Writing easily and quickly scripts, thanks to its high-level syntax.
- Prototyping, test quickly your program with the interpreter before to build a native executable.
- Building applications and Web applications: Scriptol may be integrated into rapid application development tools and can use cross-platform GUI libraries as GTK. Scriptol doesn"t need for makefile or any kind of project file.
- Defining a processing on documents saved as XML by other software.
- Generating xml documents or html pages from any source.
- Building and using easily databases and associating any processing on data.
Innovations of Scriptol replicated in other languages
Many features of Scriptol has been taken over by newer languages, which so helped to improve programming.
- A global variable name can not be reused in a local block. Dart triggers a warning in this case.
- Joint use of dynamic and statically typed variable. Now also in Dart, Julia and all new languages.
- switch case using different kings of tests. This is reflected in Go.
- The removal of parenthsesis around conditions with if or for, is taken over by Go.
- Unlike Python, which represents an interval by ":", scriptol uses the classic typography: "..".
This is now the case for all new languages.
- The Scala language integrates XML in the source like scriptol. In Scriptol 2 is is processed as a dict.
The Scriptol to PHP and Scriptol to C++ compilers are under the Mozilla
The interpreter and compilers provided on scriptol.com and scriptol.fr are free even for building commercial programs.
The creator of Scriptol
Denis G. Sureau