Description of the Scriptol programming language
Scriptol is a modern programming language, designed to be simple and
easy to learn, allowing new users ready to program in some hours. The
programming time is largely decreased.
Scriptol is object-oriented, xml-oriented, extensible, universal, uses C++, PHP or Java APIs, and GTK for graphical user interface. It is universal, that means it is convenient for scripting, to build applications or to make dynamic web pages.
Free scriptol interpreter and compilers are currently available for Windows and Unix.
Features of Scriptol
Scriptol is :
- Objectively modern: it has been designed according to seven rules for simplicity and, safety, and doesn't carry ancient obsolete syntax.
- Object-oriented, even simple scalar as "int", or literal as "123", are objects and have methods.
- Typed: the compiler can check for content and type of variables, that is not possible with usually untyped scripting languages.
- Natural: types are not based on computer's hardware but on human's
concepts or mathematical sets: these are text, number,
integer, real, etc...
- Powerful and safe: new control structures has been introduced with
- composite if, that is both an if statement and a switch case with any kind of values.
- while let, that protects from infinite loop.
- for .. in array, or for .. in a..b, the simplest way to express ranges.
- Simple: no symbols as -> or ::, just a dot in any case.
Adding 1 to x is just written: x + 1, and not x += 1.
No memory management required, executables have a garbage collector.
- C++ compatible: you have just to link C++ object files or
library files, and use the functions they hold, no any extension required
For example, you have just to add the GTK import libraries in the configuration file of a scriptol source to use the GTK user interface...
- PHP compatible: you can program web pages in Scriptol, your code is converted to Php and all Php functions may be used.
- Portable, run on any Php or C++ compatible platform.
- XML oriented. The Xml document is a data structure of the language and dom is a class of the integrated library. Xml becomes extremely simple with Scriptol.
Why use Scriptol?
- Embedding natural and safe code inside HTML pages. It will run on any server using Php version 4.
- Protecting your code by distributing a binary executable.
- Writing easily and quickly scripts, thanks to its high-level syntax.
- Prototyping, test quickly your program with the interpreter before to build a native executable.
- Building applications and Web applications: Scriptol may be integrated into rapid application development tools and can use cross-platform GUI libraries as GTK. Scriptol doesn"t need for makefile or any kind of project file.
- Defining a processing on documents saved as XML by other software.
- Generating xml documents or html pages from any source.
- Building and using easily databases and associating any processing on data.
Scriptol influence on other programming languages
Many features of Scriptol has been taken over by newer languages, and so helped to improve programmation.
- A global variable name can not be reused in a local block. Dart triggers a warning in this case.
- Joint use of dynamic and statically typed variable. This applies to Dart. Dart also uses a num type, which is close to number in Scriptol.
- switch case using different kinks of tests. This is reflected in Go and then in Xtend.
- The removal of parenthsesis around conditions with if or for, is taken over by Go. And removal of semicolons too. Unfortunately not in Dart.
The Scriptol to PHP and Scriptol to C++ compilers are under the Mozilla
The interpreter and compilers provided on scriptol.com and scriptol.fr are free even for building commercial programs.
The creator of Scriptol
Denis G. Sureau